Monday, November 2, 2009

APD Friend or foe?

Recently I received an email from a friend who had an interesting story to tell me. Apparently one night he was on his way to his workplace located on Central Ave here in Albuquerque and decided on his way back home to cut down Central to Wyoming Blvd. to go to the Hastings on Wyoming and Montgomery. Frustrated with the music on the radio he decide to reach inside his glove box for a CD. He said his glove box was a mess and decide it would be safer to pull onto a side street and park to find the CD he was searching for. In under a minute an APD patrol vehicle pulled up behind him with it's lights flashing and spotlight on. When the officer approached him he asked him for his licence ad insurance, which is standard. After the officer was provided with this information he asked why my friend was in the area. My friend replied that he had pulled over to find a CD. The officer then replied that he had been on the force for several years and didn't believe him. The officer then went on to say that there are only two reasons why people come to this section of town and that was to score drugs or women. Feeling offended my friend said that he was doing neither, just looking for a CD. I stopped my friend almost mid sentence and told him that the area was crime ridden and the officer was probably just following through on his suspicions. Not my wisest move, especially since he followed up my statement by saying that the office then gave him a field sobriety test. I asked him if h had been drinking and he said no, he hadn't given the officer any reason to assume that he had been drinking. After passing the unnecessary sobriety test my friend said that the officer now was considering checking him for warrants. At this point my already frustrated friend told the officer to do what he wanted he's clean and reminded the officer that he a just looking for a CD. The officer didn't run his background, but instead told him to leave the area and never return. Which will be hard for my friend to do seeing as he works in the area.
Look I can understand that APD has a tough job to do, especially in that area of town, but they do not have the right to suggest that someone may be doing something illegal just because they pull over on a side street irregardless of the reason. I still can't figure out why my friend was given a sobriety test, who know maybe there was a reason, however to tell my friend he was no longer allowed to drive on that particular part of town was wrong. The taxpayers own those streets not APD. I usually support APD, but in this particular case APD was at fault. My opinion of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment